Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring Football Flop


Kickoffs were nonexistent, some scores counted for double and the quarterbacks looked more prepared for a Christmas party than a football game, wearing green practice jerseys over their cardinal or white jerseys.
Yes, Saturday’s spring game was just that — a spring game. However, despite the final score reading 33-11 in favor of the Cardinal (first team plus key reserves), very few Badgers were happy with the day’s offensive production.
“We need to be better than that in the fall,” starting quarterback Scott Tolzien said. “It’s good for us to have a setback like that, as long as we use it to our advantage to realize that there’s a sense of urgency here and we gotta have a great offseason to move forward.”
While the negative attitude may seem exaggerated given the date of the game, both the Cardinal and White squads had lackluster days on the offensive end, particularly in the red zone.
Starting at the 30-yard-line to prevent injuries on kickoffs, the Cardinal managed only two field goals on its first two drives and ended the first quarter up 6-0.
In the second, Tolzien led the first teamers down the field for a touchdown on a two-yard Montee Ball touchdown run. The sophomore was starting in place of John Clay, who has been held out of all spring practices after offseason ankle surgery.
“I feel that we got beat on the line of scrimmage. I feel like I could have made better reads too,” Ball said. “I got a lot of work to do and I’m taking pride in it over the summer.”
The Cardinal would score again shortly before halftime, this time on a seven-yard run by Ball. The first team managed only five more points in the second half, though, three on another Philip Welch field goal and two on a safety.
Lets hope with all the returning starters that the Badgers can turn it around come fall. GO BUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Carl said...

Fact is good about final score reading 33-11 in favor of the Cardinal, and also the post is really interesting.

__________________

dissertation Writing

Amanda said...

I have been reading so many blogs since I am using internet but till now, this one is the one stop solution to all the problems I have been facing. Thank you.

writing a dissertation

pamella said...

This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me outta my problem..
UK Dissertation